What’s fascinating about this contest is that twelve of the 18 national teams are from the continent and the race is run by the organizers of the Tour de France. Oh, and in case you are wondering Burkinabes have won 10 of the past 19 Tours.
More than 100 cyclists from around the world are pedaling their why across Burkina Faso this week in the 20th annual Tour de Faso. Burkinabes are passionate for the event.
In the capital Ouagadougou, police try to hold back excited crowds as cyclists enter the city.
After the races speed by, one spectator says it was a thrill to see the caravan. He says he was not able to catch it on television, so he went to see it in person.
The Tour de Faso is Africa’s premier cycling event.
* Stage 1 – October 24: Kokologo – Boromo, 136km
* Stage 2 – October 25: Boromo – Diebougou, 133km
* Stage 3 – October 26: Bobo-Dioulasso – Bobo-Dioulasso, 121km
* Stage 4 – October 27: Bobo-Dioulasso – Banfora, 83.5km
* Stage 5 – October 28: Bobo-Dioulasso – Houndé, 92.5km
* Stage 6 – October 29: Laye – Ouahigouya, 152km
* Stage 7 – October 30: Yako – Ziniaré, 152km
* Stage 8 – October 31: Koulbila – Tenkodogo, 149km
* Stage 9 – November 1: Tenkodogo – Fada N’Gourma, 124km
* Stage 10 – November 2: Kombissiri – Ouagadougou, 86.5km